Sunday, June 15, 2014

in the studio

I told a friend yesterday that I was fighting a painting that hated me. He laughed. But it was an I've been there laugh.

Last week, I decided I needed to put this piece aside because I didn't really know where it was going. Of course, I did not do that. I just kept throwing paint at it, in hopes that I'd figure out what I was doing. I didn't. 

But, on a drive past the prairie, I thought, I just don't want to paint green. And there you have it. I got rid of all the green in the painting, and now I have a direction. I still think this piece will change a bit more, but I feel like it is now heading in the right direction. Or at least a direction.

this is where the river turns, wip, acrylic, 36" x 36"

Also this week: I snuck in and saw Summer Sizzle, which is the instructors' show at Substation. I have three paintings in it. The show will be up all summer, but the reception has been set for July 17, 5-8 pm. I spent Friday night at the Beverly Shores Depot opening, where I will have work all season. Their openings are on the 2nd Friday of the month from 5-7 pm. Saturday, I started at White Ripple's opening and then wandered over to SideCar where there was a raku firing. This bowl was thrown by Mike Kaysen.  Lauren Ball and I glazed it last night. That was a very cool experience. If you ever have the chance to see pots pulled out of the kiln, do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment