Sunday, November 24, 2013

in the studio

This week  has been all about experimenting. Did I say that last week, too? Probably. I've got more ideas than time right now. I could really use an art vacation.

Finished? Maybe? Nah, just on hold. It needs some printing on top, but I haven't carved the plate(s?) yet. the inevitable graffiti piece, 24" x 28". Ideas for 2-3 more of these. I'm using paint only because the ink I currently have is water soluble, which means additional brush work could disrupt the image, and would have to be framed under glass. 



I also wanted to tackle prairie pieces, and complete them entirely in printmaking. On canvas. With paint. Part way through I thought, you know, you could just print with ink on paper... But seriously, where's the challenge in that? (Look for that at a later date. It's on my to do list.) I started rolling out a couple of colors of paint, as a sort of underpainting, and printed a bit over it. The more I looked at the image, the more I thought it was done, and several other artists agreed. These are 14" x 18"



So naturally, I had to try it again.



and again.


I have one more canvas rolled out, but not yet printed. This was not at all what I had imagined for this, so I still need to try that out, too.

Saturday, I went to Hook Pottery Paper and got a paper making lesson, which has opened up a whole Pandora's box of ideas. Gah! It was amazing. I have to go back. Paper making was on my art bucket list.


This image is a sheet of cotton paper, 8" x 10" and the text on the paper is written in thinned paper pulp. I didn't know you could do that! So many places to take this! The paper we made is drying and I'll have it back after the holiday. Look for a blog post about it next month.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I LOVE this new work of yours, especially with your words integrated. I loved your use of text and words before, but there is something about this group of pieces that just hits all the right art-buttons for me. I'm still head over heels for the first one here.

    And ya know, while it's maddening to have more ideas than time (I get a bit panicked I'll forget one, and miss a major idea), I think I'd take it over having no ideas and being frustrated with wanting to work.

    Keep rocking it. :claps:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3 <3

      very definitely better to have too many ideas and not enough time than to have not enough ideas...

      And, you, Momma, are on quite a good roll, too.

      Delete