Sunday, December 1, 2013

in the studio

I spent most of the week working on the piece now titled where is it?  including making this relief print which is on the piece in several places but not quite visible/readable. I still need to work a little further on this to get it to where I want it. In the meantime, this print on paper is being given away on my facebook page Monday morning. edit: the giveaway is over, but I do them a couple of times a year, so if you are on facebook, give my page a like so you know when they happen!



So here is where where is it? stands now. Still tacky ink printed on Friday. Need to make a mental note about printing oil based inks in re: my lack of patience.



I still have a few more layers planned for this one and the inevitable  is also on hold as I try to work out the printmaking text bit, so I started a third piece, help, which is still early on in the whole layering process.  And this new canvas is a little lumpy from the paint underneath, which I didn't sand or gesso at all. This was part of the plan, to let the original painting act as underpainting, but it's a little lumpier than I'd like. The 'help' was original and I'm still deciding how much of it to leave unaltered. It's starting to look a little more unified but I've just about eliminated the 3 columns of printing I did on it. I may try printing in mask, to remove later. I'll have to do some experiments with that. Still so many ideas to work through! And I'm starting to feel the need to do some looser drawing to balance all this process out.




In other related news, I've started writing another grant idea. I have an artist willing to mentor me in a new process and have already booked a show for this as yet un-created new body of work in 2015. Good things are happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment