Monday, March 26, 2012

it's pretty much a wash

Still working on the ink pieces for the You Are Beautiful installation.  I decided my wash was too light and gave them a second coat. No pics because, really, it looks the same. Scroll down to the last post, and you've pretty much got it. The second layer of writing went on far quicker than I expected it to, considering the tiny little nib I was using. (Note: tiny little nibs are really sharp. I dropped a pen yesterday and it went right through my sneaker and stabbed me in the toe.) Usually the second layer is ink writing but I was only planning two layers for these and so I used mask. Almost done with those. I just gave the second layer a second wash, because, again, it's still really light. At some point yesterday I decided there would be more than two layers to these. I'm up to four, I usually do about 8. We'll see.

After the 4th layer's wash.
It's still going to need more layers to darken it up, overall.


In between drying time, I got to work on a little piece for the 4x6 Exchange for the Brooklyn Art Library. The Brooklyn Art Library does lots of cool projects and I've worked on several before: The Fiction Project, The Things I Dream About, and Mail Me Something... For the 4x6 Exchange, each participant is creating a 2-D piece of work that is, not surprisingly, 4"x6". Everybody mails them to Brooklyn, and then they are getting swapped. So someone somewhere will have my painting and I will get something by someone else. The postmark is due at the end of the month, so I need to get on this. This piece is based on a sketch I did of a photo a friend took and it's acrylic on watercolor paper. I'm looking to do a larger piece, 16"x20", so this is kind of the sketch for that later piece. I already had the canvas drawn out when I saw the photo and it's quite similar, so I will eventually be combining them.


No comments:

Post a Comment